In 1942, Dr. Guy O. Saulsberry opened the 27 bed Kirkwood Hospital in an old mansion. In 1943, Dr. Saulsberry purchased two other mansions, increasing the capacity of Kirkwood hospital to 50 beds. In 1958, Dr. Saulsberry transformed the Kirkwood hospital into a nonprofit community Hospital. On March 6, 1967 the Kirkwood General Hospital was at 161 bed capacity, and received accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals. By 1969, there were 134 members on staff organized into 12 departments, and became the largest employer of black workers by a black owned business.