The Whittaker Memorial Hospital was established by four black physicians in a four room building in 1908. The nursing training school associated with the hospital was able to graduate 112 nurses before closing in 1932. In order to achieve accreditation, a fireproof facility able to hold 53 beds and 20 bassinets was built and eventually dedicated in November 1943 and fully accredited in December 1944. An additional wing offering 30 extra beds was joined to the hospital in 1958 in order to meet the increasing need of the community. As of 1964, the hospital was a nonprofit organization employing about 140 people.