In Wilmington, NC during the 1920’s, there were only 25 beds available for black patients in the city’s two hospitals. The town’s seven black physicians were not able to practice in those hospitals, so the group proposed building a new facility. A group led by Dr. Foster F. Burnett purchased a building and on September 19, 1920, the Community Hospital was opened. An Advisory Committee was soon created to aid in the organization of the hospital, consisting of concerned white community members. Drs. F.W. Avant, John Kay, and Foster Burnett and few nurses carried the entire medical burden of the hospital for many years after the hospital’s opening.In 1927 a School of Nursing was opened. After receiving a grant from the Works Progress Adminstration, the hospital was able to build a new unit increasing capacity to 40 beds in 1939. The hospital has maintained an interracial managing board.