Dr. Nathan Francis Mossell, a Canadian man who recognized the need for a hospital where black doctors and nurses could be trained, founded the Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital in 1895. A more modern building was constructed for the Douglass Hospital in 1908, which marked the beginning of many financial woes. During the 1930’s, the hospital felt temporary relief when agreeing to handle the care of many patients suffering with tuberculosis, but the hospital soon lost accreditation as an intern training facility and endorsements from the American College of Surgeons. Under the leadership of Dr. Douglass Stubbs, the hospital was able to regain its accreditation and financial balance. The Mercy Hospital and Douglass Hospital merged in March 1948.