On February 11, 1941, Mother Ann Sebastian, two nuns and James Richard arrived at Ensley, Alabama with the sole purpose of setting up a clinic. With the help of interns donating their time from St. Vincent’s Hospital, the free clinic was organized on a small piece of land in little huts. By 1946, there were seven black doctors on staff and the clinic was continuing to expand to the point where new hospital was needed. The fundraising campaign was initiated, and after a $250,000 donation from the citizens of Birmingham, the construction of a new hospital was begun on July 2, 1948. On January 10, 1954, the newly built hospital was dedicated in a ceremony including many people from different races and religious backgrounds. The hospital is fully accredited on January 16, 1958.