Dr. Julian W. Ross, faculty at Howard University School of Medicine for 43 years, was born on June 10, 1884 in Lee County, Georgia. He completed two year at Georgia State Industrial College in Savannah before completing his degree at Lincoln College in Pennsylvania. Dr. Ross graduated magna cum laude with an A.B. in 1907, and matriculated at Howard University School of Medicine. He graduated in 1911 and completed an internship at Freedman’s Hospital in 1912. Despite intending to return to Savannah to help fill a desperate need for qualified physicians there, Dr. Ross stayed and was licensed by the District in 1913, passing the exam with the highest score. He began at Freedman’s in 1914, determined to receive vigorous surgical training. Dr. Ross received further instruction in obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) by traveling every summer to New York to study at various hospitals from 1922 to 1935. He served as secretary of the medical faculty from 1925 to 1930 and was appointed head of the Department of OB/GYN in 1930, a position he retained until retirement. In 1935, he was certified by the American Board of OB/GYN. In 1951, Dr. Ross was named a founding fellow of the American College of OB/GYN and retired in 1957.